Error: too many arguments on commandline

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Wed Oct 14 13:32:00 GMT 2009

On 13/10/2009 21:01, JOEL.MOOTS@L-3com.com wrote:
> I am trying to start up XWin with 3 screens, all of a specific size, but
> when I run a command in a startup batch file like this (where %RUN% is
> \cygwin\bin\run -p /usr/X11R6/bin):
>
> %RUN% XWin :3 -clipboard -silent-dup-error -engine 1 -nodecoration
> -multiplemonitors -screen 0 1280 1024 -screen 1 1280 1024 -screen 2 1280
> 1024

You might be able to drop -clipboard since it is on by default since 1.6.1.902-1

I am surprised that you need -engine 1 (ShadowGDI). It's some kind of bug if
the default engine (ShadowDDNL, I guess) doesn't work properly for you, and it
should be faster.

'-multimonitors' is an (undocumented) alias for '-multiplemonitors'

You don't really need -silent-dup-error unless you forget the server is
already running a lot :-)

> I get a popup error message titled "Run.exe" with message "Error: too
> many arguments on commandline XWin". Removing the %RUN% gets rid of the
> error, but of course, doesn't really help me any. Is there any way to
> specify any of those options to XWin other than on the command line so
> that maybe I will not exceed whatever run.exe limit I am hitting?

There is currently no other way to specify XWin arguments but via the command
line.

I don't know why this limit in run exists, but you might be able to squeeze
under it with the suggestions above.

According to your cygcheck output you don't even have the X server installed :-)

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer