X11R7.5 and C.UTF-8

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Oct 28 21:48:00 GMT 2009

On 10/28/2009 5:23 PM, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Ken Brown wrote:
>
>> X11R7.5 doesn't like the (default) locale C.UTF-8.  If I start the server
>
> technically speaking, there's "no such locale" as C.UTF-8,
> so I'd not expect portable code to accept it ("C" and "UTF-8" are
> mutually exclusive).

Maybe my terminology is wrong.  But if you start mintty with no
.minttyrc and with LANG unset, mintty will set LANG=C.UTF-8.  Trying to
then start the X server via startxwin.bat or startxwin.sh leads to the
error I reported.  The error did not occur in X11R7.4.

There's been a lot of discussion in the various cygwin lists leading to
the decision that C.UTF-8 should be the default.

Ken