Problems starting "rxvt" from startxwin.bat

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Sep 3 16:10:00 GMT 2009

On 01/09/2009 12:58, Phil Betts wrote:
> Jose Luis wrote:
>> I can start "xterm" from startxwin.bat:
>>
>>          %RUN% xterm -e /usr/bin/bash -l
>>
>> but no "rxvt":
>>
>>          %RUN% rxvt -bg white -fg black -e /bin/bash
>>
>> although it can be started from command line:
>>
>>           jlfdiaz@JLFDIAZWXP ~
>>           $ rxvt -bg white -fg black -e /bin/bash&
>>

>> Why does rvxt starting from startxwin.bat fail?
>
> This is almost certainly a timing issue.  The line in the batch file
> that starts the server uses %RUN% to start it in the background.  This
> means that the following commands in the batch file may execute before
> the X server has completed (or even started) its initialisation.

Argh, yes.

> I suspect that the reason the two terminals behave differently is
> that, xterm tries to connect to the server a number of times before
> giving up, whereas rxvt gives up at the first failure.
>
> Because the time taken to initialise the X server can vary, rather
> than using just sleep, I have added the following:
>
> REM wait up to 30 seconds for the X server
> set /a COUNT=0
> :WAITFORX
>    checkx -d %DISPLAY%
>    if not errorlevel 1 goto FINISHOFF
>    set /a COUNT+=1
>    if %COUNT% GEQ 30 goto NOX
>    echo Waiting for X on display %DISPLAY% ...
>    sleep 1
> goto WAITFORX
>
> :NOX
> echo WARNING: X doesn't appear to have started
> exit /B 1
>
> :FINISHOFF
>

> Jon/Yaakov, could this be added to the distributed startxwin.bat?
> Perhaps the warning could be extended to include instructions to
> check the log.

Yes, this needs fixing.

But DOS batch scripts make me sad, so I was thinking that I could just replace
the contents of startxwin.bat with something like "%RUN% startxwin.sh"

Is there a reason why we can't do 'checkx -d %DISPLAY% -t 30' rather than
counting up to 30 ourselves?

This also adds run2 as a dependency of the xinit package which owns these scripts.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer