GTK Applications hang when opening a file dialog

Cesar Strauss cestrauss@gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 23:34:00 GMT 2009

After building a GTK 2 application, I noticed it hangs when choosing the
File->Open menu. To see it easily, try running gtk-demo (available from
setup-1.7.exe as gtk2.0-demo) and select the Pickers demo.

It hangs for 27 seconds before printing on the terminal:

Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-cstrauss/fam-
(gtk-demo:2640): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: FAMOpen failed, FAMErrno=3

I tracked it down to the gamin_fork_server function in the gamin File
Alteration Monitor library and daemon. It turned out to be a fork
failure, hidden because of the standard handles being redirected to
/dev/null.

The error message in my testcase is:

        4 [main] test-dialog3 2664 fork: child -1 - died waiting for
longjmp before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11

Strangely, the failure only occurs after a certain few gtk library
calls, working fine if one of them is commented. Also, forking one time
works, but doing it twice in a row fails.

I hope the attached testcase will be useful, this is as far as I got
currently.

Regards,
Cesar