Xserver isn't working

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Sep 18 13:54:00 GMT 2009

On 17/09/2009 19:26, abhishek B S wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed cygwin on my laptop which has 64 bit vista home premium,
> but when i type the command xstart in the bash shell of cygwin it says
> a fatal error has occured and cygwin/x will now exit.In the bash shel
> it says waiting for  X server to begn accepting connections a ten it
> gives an error mesg saying givin up.
> Xinit:no such file or directory<errno 2>  : Unbleo connect to Xserver.
> Xinit:No such process<errno 3>:server 3
>
> How can i fix this problem?
> I have attached the log file of the error.

Reading the log file might also be a good idea :-)

> _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
>
> Fatal server error:
> Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running

The server can't start, either because it's not being allowed to bind to port
6000, or because something else already has.

This has been asked a few times before and should probably be a FAQ but no one
seems to have come up with the definitive answer...

Try something like 'netstat -a -b -n | grep -A2 ":6000"' which should identify
any process which is already bound to the socket which the X server wants to use.

Alternatively, you need to check your firewall settings to see if the X server
process is not being allowed to bind to the socket.  It's been suggested that
running the X server as administrator might also help...

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-08/msg00036.html
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-05/msg00008.html

--
Jon TURNEY