Path problem with xterm

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Sep 24 20:04:00 GMT 2009

On 9/24/2009 12:04 PM, John Emmas wrote:
> If I open a bash terminal in cygwin, then I create an xterm (either by
> running startxwin.bat or by running the relevant lines from it manually)
> then I type "set", my environment settings get listed.  Among them is my
> current PATH variable.  However, the displayed path is not the same as the
> path I had previously (in the bash terminal).  Basically, it's the same
> path
> but with some extra entries added (most of these being duplicates of
> entries
> that were already present).
>
> Cygwin's 'startxwin.bat' does introduce some extra entries - but even if
> I comment them out I still end up with unwanted entries that look like they
> must either be getting added by Xwin or xterm.  Can anyone suggest where
> they might be coming from, so I can see if I can get rid of them?

I think this was already answered in your other thread on this problem
(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-09/msg00653.html):  Most of the extra
entries probably come from the various bash startup files (including
/etc/profile).  These startup files will be invoked every time you start
a new bash login shell.

You may also be getting some extra instances of /usr/bin because xterm
is started in startxwin.bat with 'run -p /usr/bin'.  I'm not sure about
this.

Ken