Emacs-GTK hangs with dialog boxes

Angelo Graziosi angelo.graziosi@alice.it
Fri Sep 25 00:11:00 GMT 2009

Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
> For completeness, I want to flag that my GTK build of Emacs has the same
> problem described here:
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-09/msg00051.html.
>
> Practically, after starting Emacs,
>
> $ G_SLICE=always-malloc emacs -q &
>
> its first three icons on tool-bar (new file, read existing file, read
> directory) do not work. Emacs hangs for 20-30 seconds, and at prompt it
> writes:
>
> $ Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-graziosi/fam-
> (emacs:3556): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: FAMOpen failed, FAMErrno=3
>
> Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-graziosi/fam-
> (emacs:3556): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: FAMOpen failed, FAMErrno=3
>
> (emacs:3556): Gtk-WARNING **: Impossibile trovare il tipo di monitor
> predefinito per directory locali
>
> (emacs:3556): Gtk-WARNING **: Impossibile trovare il tipo di monitor
> predefinito per directory locali
>

> I think that the problem happens after a recent (one or two weeks)
> upgrading of gtk | glib | GNOME libraries, when Emacs showed new icons.

Using the current snapshot of cygwin1.dll (20090924, only dll) seems to
solve *partially* the above problem: now it looks that the first three
icons are working, but when I try to close Emacs, it hangs for some
time. This happens only if I use those icons.

Using 'ps' while Emacs is hanging, does not show the Emacs process any
more but this

4036       1    3152       3716    ? 1006 01:56:54 /usr/lib/gamin/gam_server

Cheers,
Angelo.