GNU emacs fonts again

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Wed Sep 30 15:01:00 GMT 2009

On 30/09/2009 12:04, Marc Girod wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My last cygwin upgrade changed the fonts used in GNU emacs.
> This is:
> xorg-server         1.6.3-1         OK
> emacs                23.1-10        OK
> cygwin               1.7.0-61       OK
> font-alias            1.0.1-1        OK

A big change with emacs 23 is that it now uses Fontconfig and Xft for font
rendering.  All other things being equal this should improve things, allowing
anti-aliasing etc.

> Until now, I belive I was using:
> font-bh-lucidatypewriter-dpi75 1.0.0-1        OK
>
> I get now under emacs:
>
> (list-fontsets)
> Fontset: -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-default
> Fontset: -*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-standard
> Fontset: -monotype-Courier
> New-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-0-fontset-startup

I'm not sure where monotype-Courier New font is coming from, I don't think
it's one of the fonts we provide.  However, I believe the latest fontconfig
package had a tweak by Yaakov to allow it to find the fonts in the Windows
fonts directory as well.

How emacs selects it's default font is a mystery to me.

> In fact, I might be happy with 'Courier New' (fixed fonts anyway!) if it
> wasn't for one glitch:
> the bold font is narrower than the normal one!?
>
> In my emacs shell, the command is in bold once you have run it, but not
> while you edit it.
> It means that the command you edit doesn't align with the previous one which
> failed,
> and which you are just fixing.
>
> Of the two widths, I prefer the narrower one (I find the width/height ratio
> of the medium
> Courier New less readable).
>
> So, may I align the widths?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc

Perhaps try 'emacs -fn "bitstream vera sans mono"'

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer