emacs-x11 takes 30-40 sec to open after upgrading to cygwin-1.7

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Apr 5 21:39:00 GMT 2010

On 29/03/2010 23:41, Dan Tsafrir wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 19:14, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> On 29/03/2010 11:33, Dan Tsafrir wrote:
>>>
>>> After I've upgraded to cygwin-1.7 my emacs takes 30-40 seconds to
>>> open.

Sorry, I hadn't noticed what you'd written about xterm starting up normally, I
guess that tends to suggest this is an emacs-specific problem in some way
rather than the general X fontset problem I assumed it was...

> I've conducted a few repeated measurements and it looks as though
> setting LANG to be en_US somewhat reduces the start time of emacs-x11:
> instead of ~30 seconds with LANG=C.UTF-8, it take ~27 seconds
> LANG=en_US. While this is ~10% less, waiting 27 seconds for emacs to
> open still seems unreasonable.
>
> Any other ideas?

Hmm....

You don't have any emacs fonts being set via ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources?