Keyboard and start options problems

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin@USherbrooke.ca
Tue Apr 13 14:55:00 GMT 2010

Le 2010-04-13 09:54, Jon TURNEY a écrit :
> On 07/04/2010 20:04, Denis Beauchemin wrote:
>> My French-Canadian keyboard is not recognized:
>> 2010-04-06 14:42:35 (--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00001009"
>> (00001009)
>> 2010-04-06 14:42:35 (EE) Keyboardlayout "Canadian French" (00001009)
>> is unknown
>> 2010-04-06 14:42:35 Rules = "base" Model = "pc105" Layout = "us"
>> Variant = "" Options = ""
>
> I was going to add this to the list of automatically recognized
> layouts, but there's something I don't quite understand here.  Perhaps
> you can help clear up the confusion so I can do that?
>
> According to the list of locale IDs [2], 0x0c0c is "Canadian French"
> (for which we already automatically select the XKB layout ca variant
> fr) and 0x1009 is "Canadian English".
>
> Assuming that is correct, at the very least, it looks like the middle
> line of the log output where we map the locale ID to keyboard layout
> name is wrong somehow.
>
> Is it the case that you have multiple keyboard layouts installed?
>
> Is it really the case that 0x1009 should be mapped to ca-fr? Is ca-en
> more appropriate, but you happen to want to use ca-fr?
>
> [1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-submit-layout
> [2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0h88fahh%28VS.85%29.aspx

Jon,

You are correct in assuming I have both keyboards installed. I usually
use the French-Canadian keyboard in all apps except xterms where I
prefer a US keyboard. So the default behaviour I am seeing is pretty
much the one I would like to use, except that I sometimes want to write
French comments in my scripts and I then need the French-Canadian
keyboard layout in my xterm.

On the Microsoft site
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/goglobal/bb964651%28en-us%29.aspx), the
right keyboard is the Canadian French.

I tried "setxkbmap ca" to switch to the French-Canada keyboard layout
and it was perfect in the original xterm that starts-up with Cygwin/X.
But all other xterms I launched from this one didn't forward the
keyboard layout correctly and the only key that still worked was the
"é". All characters built using one of the dead-keys just produced the
plain character without any accent.

If I didn't provide all the information you require, don't hesitate to
ask for more.

Thanks for your time.

Denis

--