emacs-x11 takes 30-40 sec to open after upgrading to cygwin-1.7

Dan Tsafrir dants@cs.technion.ac.il
Wed Apr 14 11:42:00 GMT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:29, Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
>
>> This is where I have seen xterm to spend most of its time. In your log,
>> this block of statements appears to be repeated several times for each font
>> it checks in /etc/fonts. This would explain why it is related somehow to
>> fonts in your case.
>
> It's a known issue with the Athena widget set (technically in a lower-level
> library).
>
> man xterm:
>
>    menuLocale (class MenuLocale)
>       Specify  the  locale  used for character-set computations when
>       performance of the Athena popup menus, which may load unneces-
>       sary (and very large) fonts, e.g., in a  locale  having UTF-8
>       encoding.  The default is an empty string, which uses the cur-
>       rent locale setting.
>
>       Set it to "C"  to  achieve  the  best  performance  using the
>       default  menu  resource  settings.   If you happen to be using
>       localized menu resources, set the resource accordingly.

If this really is a locale issue, then the environment variables are
being ignored from some reason; see the following shell transcript
(prompt is "bash$"):

bash$ printenv | egrep 'LANG|UTF|LOCALE'

  TEMP=/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/DANTSA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp
  LANG=C.UTF-8
  XTERM_LOCALE=C.UTF-8
  TMP=/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/DANTSA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp

bash$ LANG=C; XTERM_LOCALE=C; export LANG; export XTERM_LOCALE;

bash$ echo $LANG $XTERM_LOCALE

  C C

bash$ time xclock; # killed immediately after window opens

  real    0m42.088s
  user    0m16.030s
  sys     0m19.030s