How to launch an xterm using "Monospace" font

Thomas Dickey dickey@his.com
Fri Aug 6 08:34:00 GMT 2010

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, JOHNER Jean 066030 wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>>> I would like to launch an xterm terminal using "Monospace" font.
>>> Monospace is the font used by default by gvim.
>>> I tried:
>>> xterm -fn "Monospace"
>
>> xterm -fa "Monospace"
>
>> is perhaps what you meant.
>
> Thank you for your quick answer.
> xterm -fa "Monospace"
> gives no error message but open xterm with the same font (which is not
> Monospace) as:
> xterm

yes (one of the features of Xft is that it provides no error messages,
but simply uses the default font if there's any problem...)

> If you try
> xterm -fa "foobar"
> you also get the same result, for any "foobar" string.

That sounds as if the strings you're giving don't match the available
font family names.  If you have "fc-list", it can give a list of names.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net