xterm and 7-bit control codes

Thomas Dickey dickey@his.com
Fri Aug 13 07:13:00 GMT 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Ryan Johnson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running into a strange one...
>
> At some point in the past (on linux because I didn't know about cygwin yet),
> xterm used to send the following control sequence for a mouse click at row 1,
> col 250
>
> ESC [ M SPC \303\206 ! ESC [ M # \303\206 !
>
> From what I could piece together, the formula for the x position was:
>
> \40+x (x < 96)
> \300+X/64 \200+X%64 (otherwise)
>
> In other words, the first 96 characters were encoded as single octets, with
> all later ones encoded as an octet pair.

As far as I know, xterm's never sent more than one byte for either x/y in
a button event.  Ditto for rxvt.  It sounds like a useful idea, except
that it would of course be incompatible with the existing applications.
So it would have to be enabled by a new control sequence.

(On the other hand, whatever application you were using at the time may
have translated the characters in that manner).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net