CygwinX at MS Terminalserver?

Hermann-Josef Beckers hj.beckers@kreis-steinfurt.de
Fri Aug 13 10:39:00 GMT 2010

cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com schrieb am 13.08.2010 09:13:44:

...>
> Am 12.08.2010 18:04, schrieb Jon TURNEY:
> > On 12/08/2010 08:31, Steffen Sledz wrote:
> >> Does anyone has experiences running CygwinX at an MS
> >> Terminalserver? We like to use it at one based on Windows
> >> Server 2003 with NTFS.
> >>
> >> Is it possible to run multiple XWin instances for multiple
> >> user sessions in parallel?
> >>
> >> Any suggestions how to setup the rights in /tmp, /var/log,
> >> /var/run, etc.?
> >
> > You shouldn't change the rights on any of these, as this could
> > affect the security or functioning of other cygwin apps.
> >
> > Fortunately, you shouldn't need to, as, provided each X server
> > instance has a unique display number, everything should work :-)
>
> This seems not to be right. :(

Maybe my way can help you. The following three lines are from my startup
script:

(1) OLDDPY=$(netstat -an | grep 0:60|tail -1|gawk -F: '{print
substr($2,3,2)  }')
(2) DPY=$(expr $OLDDPY + 1)
(3) run  Xwin  :$DPY -dpi 75 -swcursor  -logfile $HOME/$USER.log  ... more
options

All X servers  use a port 60xx, so line (1) lists all net connections and
greps the relevant 60xx lines. tail -1 gives the highest used 60xx port.
The gawk returns the relevant 2 digits. Those get assigned to OLDDPY
(old/last
display number). Line (2) simply adds 1 to OLDDPY and assigns that number
to DPY (you guess it, thats the new DISPLAY number ...). Line (3) starts
X(win) with the new $DPY number and the parameter "--logfile
$HOME/$USER.log"
assigns a different logfile for each user.

HTH
hjb