Graphics not appearing in Gaussview 3

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Feb 16 14:31:00 GMT 2010

On 09/02/2010 16:17, Jon Rhoad wrote:
> I have been using the 1.5 version of cygwin/X installed in Windows XP to connect to a SLES9 server running Gaussview with little problem.  When I upgrade to 1.7 everything works fine except the graphics do not show in the Gaussview windows.  The only e-mail from the archive I found related to Gaussview is:
> ___________
> Dear Sir / Madam,
>
> I need to use GView (a software for molecules visualization
> constructed by Gaussian). An error occurs when I use the GView through
> cygwin/X. "This error is that the GView appears in my desktop. However,
> when I try to display a molecule, no molecule is observed in the window
> of GView."
>
> The Gaussian's reply is :
>
> {{{ I see the following line in the setup,
>
>> xorg-x11-xwin-gl (761 KiB; optional, the Cygwin/X X Server with
>> ***EXPERIMENTAL*** GLX acceleration)
>
> and the fact that GaussView starts but does not show molecules, which
> require GLX while the splash screen and the basic dialog windows to
> not, can be the problem. Can you turn off the experimental GLX
> acceleration? }}}
>
> How can I do it?
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick Pang
> ___________
> There was no reply to this e-mail that I could find.  I am not a programmer, just an end user, so please put any reply in layman's terms.  Thank you.

You are almost certainly not using "experimental GLX acceleration", which is
the experimental XWin_GL.exe X server, as that hasn't been included in recent
Cygwin/X releases and never in Cygwin 1.7.

So that is probably not the cause of your problem.

Unless you can reproduce your GLX problem with a free application, your best
idea is to contact the supplier of the application you have a problem with for
support.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer