How do I start WM?

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Feb 23 19:57:00 GMT 2010

On 23/02/2010 16:18, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> Read the documentation.
>>>
>>> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html#using-starting-startx
>>>

>>> -- Jon TURNEY
>>> Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer
>>> From: Jon TURNEY<jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
>>
>> I've read the documentation.  The page you refer to mentions startxwin and startx.
>> As I mentioned before, startxwin is for multi-window only.
>> startx apparently requires a Cygwin shell. I'm trying to start Cygwin/XWindows in full screen mode.
>> Is there something I missed?
>
>  From my reading of the documentation, it sounds like you'd get this behavior by
> adding server options to startxwin:
>
>    startxwin -- [ server options ]

This isn't actually the case, as startxwin always supplies the '-multiwindow'
option to XWin, and there is no XWin option to specify the default (windowed)
mode you can add after it.

This is almost by design.  There are a few differences between startx and
startxwin, appropriate to running in windowed or multiwindow mode, and mixing
them up would be a bad idea.

* They use different scripts to start clients (~/.startxwinrc and ~/.xinitrc).
  This is because we expect the .xinitrc to end by starting a WM, which would
a bad idea for .startxwinrc (as it would discover the internal WM is already
running (hopefully)) and exit immediately.

* startxwin exits after ~/.startxwinrc has completed and leaves XWin running,
whereas startx waits until ~/.xinitrc exits (which is usually waiting for the
WM started by it to exit) and then kills XWin.