How do I start WM?

Reid Thompson reid.thompson@ateb.com
Thu Feb 25 03:16:00 GMT 2010

On 2/24/2010 9:54 PM, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:

> Apparently I'm missing some components...
>
> $ openbox-session
> which: no hsetroot in [PATH content deleted]
> which: no esetroot in [PATH content deleted]
> xsetroot:  unable to open display 'KWOLCOTT-T61:0.0'
> which: no gnome-settings-daemon in [PATH content deleted]
> which: no xfce-mcs-manager in [PATH content deleted]
> which: no start_kdeinit in [PATH content deleted]
> Openbox-Message: Failed to open the display from the DISPLAY
> environment variable.
>
> Normally I use the Xming X Window manager if I'm not running the twm
> Window Manager executed from Cygwin.

Lets make sure we're on the same page.
Xming X Window manager -> from a quick glance, this is an X server, not a window manager.  It's corresponding
executable in cygwin would be Xwin.exe, started via either startx or startxwin.exe.

twm and openbox (and openbox-session which adds some autostart and xdg interactions to an openbox manages
session) are window managers.  window managers require an xserver to be started first, all the X applications
'paint' themselves on the Xserver.  The window manager, allows you to 'manage' those applications (size,
location, minimize,maximize etc ).

So running openbox or openbox-session w/o an X server already running will fail ala above.
Have you had a chance to read through my previous post?

reid