Alt key not recognized as Meta in xterm

Gary Carvell gary.carvell@gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 05:05:00 GMT 2010

Thanks Andy, your explanation was extremely helpful. For the longest
time it was unclear whether the Alt key issue was related to
LANG/LC_*, readline / .inputrc, xterm, X resources, or something else
entirely. ASCII is much simpler :-) At any rate, things are good now.

FWIW, on my Linux box running Slackware64 and twm, I changed LANG from
the default en_US to to en_US.UTF-8. This caused the same issue as on
Cygwin, and the same .Xdefaults entry fixed it.

Gary