Gtk+ & cygwin problem

Thu Jan 21 00:49:00 GMT 2010

On 20/01/2010 16:36, Richard Dickinson wrote:
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Some googling would have shown you what this means.  You need to be
running an X server and set the DISPLAY variable in order to use GTK+
(or any other X11 GUI).

This being a Cygwin/X question, it really belongs on the Cygwin/X list;
redirecting accordingly.

> And on my Vista machine I have gtkmm for Windows setup from which I can run
> Gtk-demo from my Vista cmd prompt

GTKmm for Windows is just that -- for WINDOWS.  Cygwin's GTK+ is a
*NIX/X11 version and needs a Cygwin-built GTKmm, which is available from
Cygwin Ports.

> (but cannot compile gtk+ code with from Vista cmd
> prompt as I get 'access denied' error message?!).

'/usr/bin/gcc' is a symlink, which Windows itself doesn't understand.
Cygwin commands are generally meant to be run from a Cygwin environment
(in this case, bash, or another shell of your choice).

 > I have cygwin/bin in my path&  gtkmm/bin also.

This is asking for problems.  You're better off keeping extra Win32
components out of your Cygwin PATH.

Yaakov
Cygwin/X