Keyboard and start options problems

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Jul 1 14:31:00 GMT 2010

On 13/04/2010 15:30, Denis Beauchemin wrote:
> Le 2010-04-13 09:54, Jon TURNEY a écrit :
>> On 07/04/2010 20:04, Denis Beauchemin wrote:
>>> My French-Canadian keyboard is not recognized:
>>> 2010-04-06 14:42:35 (--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00001009"
>>> (00001009)
>>> 2010-04-06 14:42:35 (EE) Keyboardlayout "Canadian French" (00001009)
>>> is unknown
>>> 2010-04-06 14:42:35 Rules = "base" Model = "pc105" Layout = "us"
>>> Variant = "" Options = ""
>>
>> I was going to add this to the list of automatically recognized
>> layouts, but there's something I don't quite understand here. Perhaps
>> you can help clear up the confusion so I can do that?
>>
>> According to the list of locale IDs [2], 0x0c0c is "Canadian French"
>> (for which we already automatically select the XKB layout ca variant
>> fr) and 0x1009 is "Canadian English".
>>
>> Assuming that is correct, at the very least, it looks like the middle
>> line of the log output where we map the locale ID to keyboard layout
>> name is wrong somehow.
>>
>> Is it the case that you have multiple keyboard layouts installed?
>>
>> Is it really the case that 0x1009 should be mapped to ca-fr? Is ca-en
>> more appropriate, but you happen to want to use ca-fr?
>>
>> [1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-submit-layout
>> [2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0h88fahh%28VS.85%29.aspx
>>

> Jon,
>
> You are correct in assuming I have both keyboards installed. I usually
> use the French-Canadian keyboard in all apps except xterms where I
> prefer a US keyboard. So the default behaviour I am seeing is pretty
> much the one I would like to use, except that I sometimes want to write
> French comments in my scripts and I then need the French-Canadian
> keyboard layout in my xterm.
>
> On the Microsoft site
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/goglobal/bb964651%28en-us%29.aspx), the
> right keyboard is the Canadian French.

Okay, after looking into this a bit more, it seems I was looking at the wrong
table, for locale identifiers rather than input locale identifiers.

Checking [1], it seems clear that 0x1009 ('Canadian French') should map to
layout ca variant fr and 0x0c0c (which is described as 'Canadian French
(legacy)') to layout ca variant fr-legacy.  So I'll update the keyboard layout
mapping table appropriately. I'll also add the 0x11009 ('Canadian Multilingual
Standard') mapped to layout ca variant multix, which has been discussed elsewhere.

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766503%28WS.10%29.aspx

> I tried "setxkbmap ca" to switch to the French-Canada keyboard layout
> and it was perfect in the original xterm that starts-up with Cygwin/X.
> But all other xterms I launched from this one didn't forward the
> keyboard layout correctly and the only key that still worked was the
> "é". All characters built using one of the dead-keys just produced the
> plain character without any accent.
>
> If I didn't provide all the information you require, don't hesitate to
> ask for more.

I couldn't reproduce this, but I'm not sure I'm trying the right thing.

Could you give me a step-by-step guide, including what keyboard layout you
have selected in Windows, and what compose sequences you are trying that don't
work?

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer