Resizing problem

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Jul 15 21:20:00 GMT 2010

On 7/15/2010 3:51 PM, Olwe Melwasul wrote:
> Yes, I am using the emacs-X11 and yes, I started it (after starting
> the X server to get multiwindowed mode) with ">emacs&" at the cygwin
> command. Emacs-X11 comes up fine, looking good. Then I do "M-x shell"
> to get a shell environment inside of Emacs. But what comes up is not
> bash. I'm not sure what it is, but it sees no cygwin apps: It doesn't
> know what "ls" or "which diff" or any other GNU/cygwin stuff is. I
> assume it is the DOS shell. Oddly, if I start emacs-X11 inside the
> windowed mode (startx) and do emacs shell mode, it does see bash and
> the rest of the GNU/cygwin apps.

[Please don't top-post.]

I think the problem is that your PATH isn't set correctly inside emacs.
  How are you starting the X server?  If you use the start menu shortcut
(with target C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c
/usr/bin/startxwin.exe) you shouldn't have that problem.  Notice that it
uses 'bash -l' precisely so that the environment, including PATH, is set
up in the normal way.

Ken