empty x windows

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Jul 18 15:04:00 GMT 2010

On 14/06/2010 20:37, J. Bruce Dean wrote:
> When running dual displays, using cygwin/x, the external monitor frames are
> 'invisible'. The window moves from the (laptop) display, working, on the
> external monitor they have a border, but the background is a snapshot of
> the app running on the external monitor. If I type, it works, but nothing
> displays. Moving the window moves the snapshot of the background. Moving
> back to the primary display I can see whatever I typed on the external
> monitor. Searching provided some things to try, such as the 'screens' and
> 'mulitplemonitors', neither worked.

Another other thing I've recently come across which might cause this behaviour
is if the 2 monitors have different colour depths.  In that case, something
does get written to XWin.0.log indicating that we will use the primary display
only (effectively turning off -multiplemonitors), but I guess it could be clearer.

Perhaps we should arrange to constrain the X windows to stay in the area of
the virtual desktop for which the shadow framebuffer covers, to avoid windows
which don't get their contents drawn like that.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer