Slow response to keypresses in xorg-server-1.8.0-1

Simon Marlow marlowsd@gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 15:45:00 GMT 2010

On 19/07/2010 15:51, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>> I use the VirtuaWin virtual-desktop tool, and found that often when
>> switching to a desktop with XWin windows on it, the windows would
>> remain blank until I right-clicked on the XWin icon in the tray, when
>> they would refresh.
>
> Strange. It is more than an year I use VirtuaWin (now 4.2) without
> problems with X, and I use the not-patched XWin.exe, i.e. that from
> original 1.8.0-1 package.
>
> Perhaps you have a BLODA[*]?

I have MS Forefront client security, configured to omit the Cygwin
directories, but I really doubt that's the problem.

More details about what I do to reproduce the not-refreshing problem
(not the blank window problem, that seems to be fixed by the patched
XWin binary, and judging by other comments in this thread seems to be a
known issue unrelated to VirtuaWin).

  - multiple xterms running on remote machines displaying locally,
    over multiple 'ssh -Y' connections, i.e. I do
       ssh -Y remote-machine xterm

  - windows are on adjacent desktops, using overlapping areas of the
    screen

  - switch between the desktops, note how the windows on the new
    desktop are still displaying the content of the windows on the
    previous desktop.  Alas, it doesn't always happen, but it
    happens a lot.

In VirtuaWin I have "Static taskbar & Z order" set for "On desktop
change preserve".  I did try using different hiding methods for XWin
windows in VirtuaWin, but didn't find anything that worked.

Cheers,
	Simon