Mouse offset when using java swing based gui applications

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Jul 19 15:51:00 GMT 2010

On 15/07/2010 15:38, Richard Evans wrote:
> There's a bug reported against Java relating to this, with some more
> details.  It claims to be fixed, but it still occurs.  There's a small
> test case in the bug report.  It makes many Java UI applications
> unusable with Cygwin/X.
>
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6434227

Thanks very much for the link.  That bug report and related ones makes
interesting reading: I can see now that Swing/AWT problems are probably behind
a few problem reports of this kind we've had.

I tried out the test case in that particular bug, and it does seem to be fixed
in the JRE is claims to be fixed in.  But looking at the horror-show that is
XWM.java [1], I can believe there are other problems, and the behaviour will
be different with different JRE versions.

There's certainly scope for adding fixes/workarounds to the multiwindow mode
internal window manager so that AWT does the correct thing, but I guess what I
need to progress this is a test case I can easily run, and 'java -version' for
the platform the test case should be run on

[1]
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7/jdk7/jdk/file/d58354a69011/src/solaris/classes/sun/awt/X11/XWM.java

--
Jon TURNEY