unable to start X server after upgrading cygwin from 1.5 to 1.7.5

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Jul 23 11:52:00 GMT 2010

On 23/07/2010 10:31, philippe wrote:
> I use cygwin and Cygwin/X on a windows XP SP3 latop from a long time.
> I've recently upgraded cygwin, from 1.5 to 1.7.5, and now it's
> impossible to start an X server! Reinstalling cygwin (after a complete

You probably want to read the FAQ section on upgrading [1]

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#modular

> "uninstall") doesn't change any things. When i launch "startx" from de
> command line (I use mintty as default terminal, and some times rxvt) an
> X window briefly opens but close rapidly. I've copy/paste the message
> from the terminal at the end of this message*.
>
> Thank's for your help!
>
> Philippe.
>

> **********************  from the terminal **************************
>

> [philippe@port78]~>
> $ startx
> xauth:  creating new authority file /home/philippe/.serverauth.1270964
>
> Welcome to the XWin X Server
> Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
> Release: 1.8.0.0 (10800000)
> Build Date: 2010-04-02
>
> Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
> XWin was started with the following command line:
>
> /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /home/philippe/.serverauth.1270964
>
> _XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
> _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/port78:0
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
> winValidateArgs - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
> (II) xorg.conf is not supported
> (II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
> LoadPreferences: /home/philippe/.XWinrc not found
> LoadPreferences: /etc/X11/system.XWinrc not found

Hmmmm... this file should have been created by the xorg-server postinstall script.

> LoadPreferences: See "man XWinrc" to customize the XWin menu.
> LoadPreferences: Loading built-in default
> winGetDisplay: DISPLAY=:0.0
> winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
> winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
> winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
> winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000007
> winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
> winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits
> per pixel
> winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
> Screen 0 added at virtual desktop coordinate (0,0).
> MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
> XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack
> of shared memory support in the kernel
> (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
> (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
> [dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/TTF/, removing
> from list!
> [dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/OTF/, removing
> from list!
> [dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1/, removing
> from list!
> winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 837 487
> (--) 3 mouse buttons found
> (--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
> (--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "0000040C" (0000040c)
> (--) Using preset keyboard for "French (Standard)" (40c), type "4"
> Rules = "base" Model = "pc105" Layout = "fr" Variant = "none" Options =
> "none"
> The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
>> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but<RALT>  has 2 symbols
>>                    Ignoring extra symbols
> Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
> winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
> winInitClipboard ()
> winClipboardProc - Hello
> winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
> DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows NT/2000/XP
> winGetDisplay: DISPLAY=:0.0
> winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
> winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the
> display.
> Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
> Warning: Cannot convert string
> "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
> Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
> Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
> Error: Aborting: no font found
>
> Warning: Cannot convert string
> "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
> Warning: Cannot convert string
> "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type
> Warning: FontStruct
> Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
> Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
> Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
> Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
> [...]

You need to install 'font-adobe-dpi75'.

However, this should have been installed automatically as a dependency of xterm.

I wish you'd attached your cygcheck output.

You could try reinstalling that package, although I'd guess something went
wrong with installing package.  You should check /var/log/setup.log for clues.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer