startx doesn't run proprely

Ryan Johnson ryanjohn@ece.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 25 06:49:00 GMT 2010

On 8:59 PM, hakobyan@ualberta.ca wrote:
> Dear Cygwin helper,
>
> After the "startx" command it doesn't open X terminal. In fact, it
> sometimes open Xterm sometimes not, givin the following error message:

<snip>
>  _XSERVTransMakeAlloCOTSServerListeners: server already running

<snip>
> Please, tell me what to do to get rid of the problem?
The above looks like a likely culprit. Make sure the last instance is
really gone before starting a new one. Closing xterm doesn't shut down
the server, and if you just want a new xterm use the Cygwin-X shortcuts
or right click the 'X' in the system tray and find it in the
'Applications' list of the menu that pops up.

Good luck,
Ryan