startxwin/XWin won't start properly

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com
Wed Jun 30 05:19:00 GMT 2010

On 6/30/2010 1:07 AM, Bradley, Mike wrote:
> OK, I removed my old cygwin installation (the directory which contains/usr,
> /bin/, etc.), and re-installed a new version.  I kept the "cygwin_package"
> directory, but setup.exe did not remember my previous installation.  In the
> past I have had to install cygwin on multiple machines, and it would be nice
> to learn a way to have a file which describes the packages I want to install,
> rather than having to recall them all.

'setup.exe' doesn't remember your previous installations - ones you have
removed.  There'd be little call for that kind of functionality.  'setup.exe'
does allow you to install from a local directory though.  So if you keep
the directory that contained all the packages you've downloaded previously,
you can point 'setup.exe' at this directory and tell it to install everything.

Holliston, MA 01746