XTrap in X11R7 - your Nov 2008 posting

Tue Mar 16 19:08:00 GMT 2010

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE !  Reply-To: set accordingly.

On 2010-03-16 09:22, Rob 613 wrote:
> I would like to point out that the stated reasoning of removing XTrap is false.

For the record, in the X11R7.4 announcement I listed XTrap among the
deprecations, stating the reason as:

> Replaced upstream by Record/XTest, it was recently removed.  Nothing in
> the distro was using it.

And here's why:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-June/036131.html
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=cbc20d92de92aad5ca240310a9156ccf97c24a01

IOW in June 2008 (months before the X11R7.4 release) the XTrap extension
was completely removed from the server because "XTrap
offers no functionality over RECORD/XTest".  I think that's pretty
unambiguous.

> I am the original inventor of XTrap, and also a contributor to Record,
> and previously worked with the X Consortium.
>
> Record doesn't work - there is functionality not found in the
> combination of XTest + Record.

The Record extension has suffered some breakage as of late, but that
should be fixed with the upcoming 1.7.6 and 1.8rc releases.

> There may not be that much freely available software that uses XTrap,
> but I don't think it should be removed.

This occurred almost *two years* ago.  It's a bit late now, and as this
was an *upstream* decision (before I became a regular contributor),
you'll need to take it up with the X.Org devs.  Although given the
recent trend of removing obsolete and unmaintained extensions, I think
your time would be better served porting your code to XTest.

Yaakov
Cygwin/X