gvim tiny font in 1.7.7 (back again)

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Oct 26 13:01:00 GMT 2010

On 25/10/2010 11:25, David T-G wrote:
> Hi again, folks --
>
> ...and then David T-G said...
> %
> % I hate these kinds of errors because it's so incredibly hard to get a
> % real resolution to the problem, but I'll not turn down having my gvim
> % work again :-)
>
> Even that is taken from me now.  I had gvim happily open on a file,
> closed it, opened another file, and we're tiny.  When I have
>
>    set guifont=Courier\ Bold\ 10
>
> in my .vimrc it is at least visible, although still small, and doesn't
> change with the font size, but it does change size if I specify different
> fonts (ie Lucida at any size is wider than Courier or Courier Bold at any
> size, while Times New Roman is very small); when I comment it out I'm back
> to the crazy tiny that I had before.
>
> Any more ideas? :-(

More questions, certainly.

 From the examples you have given (xterm works, gvim doesn't), I was assuming
that this meant that core (server-side) fonts are correctly sized, Xft
(client-side) fonts aren't.

But perhaps you mean that gvim is the only application which shows this problem?

You might compare the appearance of the fonts shown by 'xfd -fa Courier' and
'xfd -fn -*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*' to test that.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer