Problems using XWin with remote desktop with latest version

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Sep 21 14:14:00 GMT 2010

On 20/09/2010 19:52, Jay Goldman wrote:
> I have the following batch file to start xwin:
> 	@echo off
> 	SET CYGWIN_ROOT=
> 	SET RUN=%CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin\run -p /usr/bin
> 	SET PATH=.;%CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin;%PATH%
>
> 	SET XAPPLRESDIR=
> 	SET XCMSDB=
> 	SET XKEYSYMDB=
> 	SET XNLSPATH=
>
> 	%RUN% XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error
> 	IF EXIST %CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin\urxvtd-X.exe  %RUN% %CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin\urxvtd-X.exe
>
> This works fine (and has been for a while>year).
>
> Occasionally, I have to connect to my machine via windows remote desktop.
> I've also been doing this for a while.
>
> With the latest version of x-windows; however, when I do so XWin.exe seg faults.
> I then kill the urxvtd-X.exe process, re-run my batch script, and all is well within the remote desktop session.
>
> Then I close the remote desktop session, and when I get back to my machine the x-windows-based command windows are no longer functional.  I close down Xwin.exe (and urxvtd-X.exe), restart them, and I'm ok again.
>
> Any ideas as to what has changed to cause these new issues,
> (a) XWin.exe seg fault due to remote desktop connection (sorry, I don't have the seg fault info)
> (b) X-windows based command windows, (i.e., windows started with: urxvtc -g 80x42 -e /bin/bash -l -i) no longer display correctly when I disconnect the remote desktop session - I have to 're-start' xwin.exe (and urxvtd-X.exe) processes.

This is pretty likely to be a known problem with the resize support added in
Xserver 1.8.2-1, see [1]

Unfortunately, due to a mistake on my part, there is no way to disable resize
support in multiwindow mode in that version, so your options for a workaround
are limited to:

a) Downgrade to the previous Xserver version
b) Use the test build provided by me in that thread
c) Avoid RDP sessions which change the colour depth of your display (e.g by
setting your display to use 16-bit colour, assuming the RDP sessions choose
16-bit for some reason)

If your problems persist with the that test build, I'd very much like to hear
about it.

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2010-08/msg00080.html

--
Jon TURNEY