Cygwin/X bug? suspend-resume issues

Henry Tung henryptung@gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 01:28:00 GMT 2010

I've encountered an unusual behavior of Cygwin/X on suspend/resume of
Windows.  The server is working fine before suspend, but after the first
suspend-resume cycle, the characters become single pixels.  I have
screenshots depicting the effects on an rxvt-unicode window, and an
fwbuilder window forwarded over ssh from an Ubuntu VM (though it seems
the mailing list rejected the attachments, so please let me know if
there's a way I can send them).  Windows in existence before the first
suspend remain fine after resume, but only as long as they are open;
closing and reopening them produces the broken state.  The attached
XWin.0.log is after two suspend/resume cycles; the two line blocks from
each resume seem anomalous (bpp: 0? width: 0? height: 0?).

If it helps any, I'm using Win7 x64, updated cygwin rebaseall'd (to deal
with STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION errors from urxvt before).  The X server is
being started from the provided start menu link "XWin Server".  xterm
windows seem to be unaffected by the bug, as are urxvt windows using
unaliased fonts (though the log lines still show up even without any
windows open).  For some reason, this issue doesn't seem to affect my
desktop, which should have largely the same setup.  If there's any more
information I should provide, please let me know, and thanks for
reading!  Really hope I can get this issue fixed and get Cygwin in
working order on my laptop...

Also, if this issue has already been reported/fixed, feel free to ignore
this.

Cheers,
Henry