Git version, XWin dies in cygwin but not in Windows

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Sep 28 14:39:00 GMT 2010

On 27/09/2010 16:43, Michel Hummel wrote:
> I am testing the git version of the XWin server (I don't know if it is
> the good place to talk about this version)

This is absolutely the right place :-)

I presume by 'git version' you mean the X.Org master tree.

> and I am experiencing a
> problem (May be it is also a problem on the official Xwin).
> Sometime ( I can not make a reproducible test case) when the server
> stops, the Xwin process disappears from Cygwin (as expected) but the
> Windows process XWin.exe still be alive.

There are currently quite a few patches applied on top of the X.Org releases
to make the cygwin released version (cygwin releases are tagged in [1]), at
least one of which is related to stability during shutdown [5].

If you want a tree with those patches forward ported to xserver 1.9, take a
look at [2]

Sorry that the contributors guide documentation is somewhat out of date and
doesn't contain this information.

> After some investigations (I'm not a good Windows hacker) it seems
> that the process hangs  on the call to PostQuitMessage (0); of the
> function ddxGiveUp of the file InitOutput.c
>
> I can't tell why (Like I said, I'm not a good Windows hacker) but my
> tests seems to show that delete this call  fixes the bug (may be there
> is no link ).
>
> Is it possible that this problem lies to the fact that the main window
> is destroyed before the call to PostQuitMessage  (So the WM_QUIT
> message can't be treated isn't it ?)

That shouldn't be the case, PostMessage() [3] functions are supposed to by
asynchronous (unlike SendMessage() [4] which is synchronous, waiting for the
message to be processed before returning)

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~yselkowitz/xserver/
[2] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jturney/xserver/log/?h=cygwin-1.9-testing
[3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms644945%28VS.85%29.aspx
[4] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms644950%28VS.85%29.aspx