Can't paste text or type blind keys when mouse is out of the window

Paul Maier svn-user@web.de
Sun Aug 7 09:06:00 GMT 2011

Hi,

when xterm has keyboard focus, but mouse pointer is outside of the window (or
even on Window's blue title bar):

- all blind keys are ignored:

  o  instead of 'à' (key '`' then 'a') you get just a normal 'a'

  o  can't type '^' character (on a German keyboard done with blind '^' key then space)
     -> you will just get the space instead

  o  same with '`' or '´': all blind keys are affected

- can't paste text with the mouse

- all other keys work as expected

Effect:

- While working and not noticing that the mouse pointer slowly left the window,
  in vi you want to jump to mark a (typing `a).
  '`' is ignored and the 'a' brings vi into append mode!

- typing something like ":%s/^xxx/yyy/" is annoying, because you can't type ^,
  until you reposition the mouse pointer inside the window

100 % reproducable.

When the mouse pointer is inside the xterm, everything works fine:
you get à or ^ and can paste text.

It makes no difference whether I use XWin.20110803-git-a493c0465e56ce0b or
XWin.exe from the release.

Logs of xev and XWin.log (with -logverbose 3) are in the attachment.

The XWin.logs are the same regardless if mouse is inside or outside,
but I notice a small difference in xev's output.

Thanks & regards,
  Paul