Problems with emacs built against gtk3

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sat Dec 10 01:40:00 GMT 2011

On 12/4/2011 8:44 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 12/4/2011 7:13 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>> On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 08:01 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
>>> This doesn't do it. Emacs still dies after a short time. I don't know
>>> if that means that there's something else going on, but I'll retest it
>>> after you package gvfs. In the meantime, I'll continue with my
>>> workaround of setting GSETTINGS_BACKEND=memory.
>>>
>>> In case you (or anyone else) wants to experiment with this, you can get
>>> my build of the emacs-24 pretest by running
>>>
>>> setup.exe -K http://www.math.cornell.edu/~kbrown/kbrown.gpg
>>>
>>> and adding http://www.math.cornell.edu/~kbrown to the list of mirrors.
>>
>> WJFFM, but I'll get on that gvfs ITP right away. It looks like I also
>> need to repackage pango1.0 to remove everyone's old pango.modules file.
>>
>> But despite your subject line, the binaries there are clearly gtk2
>> based. Was that intended?
>
> No, I made a mistake in my configure arguments. I put `--with-x=gtk3'
> instead of `--with-x-toolkit=gtk3', so emacs used the default gtk2. I'll
> rebuild it.

I've rebuilt emacs and am now definitely using gtk3.  I've also
installed the latest Cygwin snapshot.  I tried your suggested workaround
again (export GIO_USE_VFS=local) and it still doesn't work for me, but
the symptoms are different: emacs doesn't die, but it freezes as soon as
I try to list a directory with the command `<ctrl-x>d'.  [This runs `ls'
in a subprocess.]

I then went back to my GSETTINGS_BACKEND=memory workaround and noticed
something new:  If I run emacs in my normal way, with "emacs.geometry:
82x36+340+40" in .Xdefaults, I get the following error message:

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_window_parse_geometry() called on a window with no
visible children; the window should be set up before
gtk_window_parse_geometry() is called.

But if I remove the geometry setting from .Xdefaults, emacs seems to
work fine.

It's probably not worth pursuing these new problems until gvfs is ready,
but I mentioned them in case they suggest to you that something is going
on aside from the missing gvfs.

The gtk3 build of emacs is available in the same place as before if you
want to try it.

Ken