Shared memory support (MIT-SHM) in 1.7?

Sat Jul 23 17:45:00 GMT 2011

On Jul 23 13:21, egerlach@aiai.de wrote:
> Hi,
> I've read in http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-shared-memory.html hat cygwin supports shared memory, but: "Note: for Cygwin 1.5 only". I ask me whether the documentation refers only to older versions of cygwin or also to newer versions 1.6 and 1.7.
>
> Who knows the answer?
>
> If 1.7 does not support shared memory, so I have to install legacy version 1.5 (see http://www.cygwin.com/win-9x.html ), right?  I've just installed the  latest version 1.7.x , so I uninstall this version (by deleting c:\cygwin, right?) an  I install the setup-legacy.exe , right?

No.  Read http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-shared-memory.html again.
It says exactly what you need to do to get XSI shared memory running.
The *note* is for 1.5 only.

Corinna

(*) Btw., named POSIX shared mem support is available since 1.7.  It's
    a pity that MIT-SHM extension uses XSI, rather than POSIX shared
    memory, since you don't need cygserver for the POSIX implementation.

Red Hat