Can't talk to X server through ssh tunnel after ~ 18 minutes

Jim Burwell jimb@jsbc.cc
Sun May 29 23:13:00 GMT 2011

I have a similar issue on Windows 7 64 bit.  I don't even use SSH.  I
can just run an Xterm or other X app with display pointed directly to
the IP (after doing proper xhost, etc), and the window will display
(often I'll get crashes and stack traces a few times, then it will
display).  But then the windows will just vanish for no real reason.
The X application will still be running on the remote box, but the
window is no where to be found on the display.

I typically kill off the xterm on the remote box and run it again.  It's
like the X server under windows is simply unmapping the window and it
goes into never-never land.  It happens fairly randomly to random
clients running on the same or different hosts.  One or two x-app
windows will vanish from that host, while others are still running fine.

Never happened to me under XP 32 bit.

- Jim