Title bar of X apps, no host name?

Timothy Madden terminatorul@gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 11:46:00 GMT 2011

On 04.11.2011 11:09, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Timothy Madden  wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know how to change the window title to include the hostname
>> please ?
>>

> Put the following into your PS1 (on the remote machines) :
>
> \[\e]0;\h:\w\a\]
>
> Or you could google for "xterm window title"

I would like to change the title of all my X windows, so as to include
the hostname of the X client for the window (that is, the hostname
running the application in the window).

If you connect with *ssh -Y* to several machines, than you can run GUI
applications on those machines, and the windows will open up on your X
desktop. If you start gvim on each of these machines, you have 4 gvim
windows on your desktop, with no easy way to tell to which machine each
window belongs.

Some Linux X servers have this by default (I have CentOS), and it allows
me to run *knosole* or *gnome-terminal* or *gvim* or any other
application on several machines at the same time, with the X windows for
them all on my desktop, without confusing the host machine for each window.

Thank you,
Timothy Madden