Title bar of X apps, no host name?

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Nov 7 18:23:00 GMT 2011

On 03/11/2011 19:27, Timothy Madden wrote:
> On 24.10.2010 04:59, Jerry Cloe wrote:
>> When I start individual windows between two linux boxes I always get the
>> host name in the title bar of the window.
>>
>> For example from my desktop linux box:
>>
>> ssh -X jerry@prodserver
>> then
>> gedit&
>>
>> The title bar of the resulting gedit window will be along the lines of:
>> "gedit (on prodserver.host.com)"
>>
>> But, when I do this from my windows/cygwin desktop, the title bar is simply
>> "gedit" without the host name.
>>
>> On the linux side, I've never done anything to set this up or make it work,
>> it just always worked, so I'm not even sure where to begin looking.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Does anyone know how to change the window title to include the hostname please ?
>
> Connecting to 4 machines (with *ssh -Y*) and starting the *gvim* on all of
> them can be really frustrating when you have no indication what machine each
> instance is running on.

This is a feature of the Window Manager you are using on your linux hosts (I
guess metacity, which appears to add the WM_CLIENT_MACHINE window property
onto the end of the window title (if it is not the local hostname)).

Unfortunately, the integrated WM built into the Cygwin X server (which manages
each X window as a native window in multi-window mode) doesn't have this
feature.  I can see it would be kind of useful, but then again, I'm sure some
people would hate it, so if added, it would need to configurable.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer