X server crash when running texworks

Mon Apr 2 22:50:00 GMT 2012

On 2012-04-02 16:14, Ken Brown wrote:
> Much earlier in the thread I mentioned a warning "QFileSystemWatcher:
> failed to add paths: /home/kbrown". I've looked at the QtCore sources,
> and that warning is generated by the function
> QFileSystemWatcher::addPaths, in corelib/io/qfilesystemwatcher.cpp. If
> I'm understanding the code correctly, that function tries to use a
> "native" (system-specific) FileSystemWatcherEngine if possible. The
> function QFileSystemWatcherPrivate::createNativeEngine in the same file
> creates native engines on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS, and Symbian,
> but not on Cygwin.

Correct, as the Windows backend won't work OOTB with *NIX filesystem,
and we don't support any of the other native backends.

> I don't know if it's worth pursuing this, but the failure of
> FileSystemWatcher could conceivably be the problem here. Do you know
> enough about Qt to have any ideas about how to proceed? Or Yaakov?

The only plausible solutions would be to either:

* implement inotify[1] in Cygwin on top of Windows' Directory Change
Notification APIs[2] (which would benefit a number of packages);

* OR implement a FAM/Gamin-based QFileSystemWatcher backend.

Yaakov

[1] http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/inotify.7.html
[2]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365261%28v=vs.85%29.aspx