Problems with emacs built against gtk3

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Apr 3 21:13:00 GMT 2012

On 12/4/2011 7:13 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 08:01 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
>> This doesn't do it.  Emacs still dies after a short time.  I don't know
>> if that means that there's something else going on, but I'll retest it
>> after you package gvfs.  In the meantime, I'll continue with my
>> workaround of setting GSETTINGS_BACKEND=memory.

Now that gvfs is available, I've built the latest emacs-24 pretest
against gtk3 and removed the GSETTINGS_BACKEND=memory setting, but I
still have the same problem.  If I start emacs and then just walk away
from it, after a while it will die with a segfault.  (It may take an
hour or more before this happens.)

I've got a backtrace (attached), but it may not be useful because of
optimization.  I can rebuild without optimization if you think it would
be helpful.  In the meantime, if you want to try to reproduce the
problem, you can get my build of emacs-24.0.95-2 by running

   setup.exe -K http://sanibeltranquility.com/cygwin/kbrown.gpg

and adding http://sanibeltranquility.com/cygwin to the list of mirrors.

I'm attaching cygcheck output in case you can spot something in my setup
that's different from yours.

Ken