Problems with emacs built against gtk3

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Apr 4 14:15:00 GMT 2012

On 4/3/2012 11:55 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 2012-04-03 20:52, Ken Brown wrote:
>> There's no problem when emacs is built with gtk2. There's also no
>> problem with gtk3, provided I set GSETTINGS_BACKEND=memory.
>
> I regularly run the entire GNOME desktop for hours (if not days) on end,
> so I really don't think that this is a bug in dconf or gvfs.
>
>> I'll probably just have to stick with gtk2 for the next emacs release.
>
> That's fine; gtk2 isn't going anywhere for a while.

Another option is to use gtk3 but to put the GSETTINGS_BACKEND
workaround into the emacs startup code:

   setenv ("GSETTINGS_BACKEND", "memory", 1);

I've been testing this, and it seems to work (but I won't be completely
confident until I've had emacs running for a day or so).  Do you see any
downside?

Ken