dbus-launch --exit-with-session fails when run from .startxwinrc

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Apr 16 13:46:00 GMT 2012

The following problem occurs on my 64-bit Windows 7 system but not on my
XP system.

I start the X server using the Start Menu shortcut [modified to add
-emulate3buttons] and a .startxwinrc with the following contents:

eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
xterm

Running ps in the resulting xterm window shows no dbus-launch or
dbus-daemon process.  But I can give the same dbus-launch command in the
xterm window, and the processes start as expected.  I'm attaching
cygcheck output and the XWin log.

My hope in reporting this is that the problem I'm seeing (and the
difference between XP and Win7) is somehow related to the emacs problem
I've been trying to solve:

   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2012-04/msg00048.html

Ken

P.S. You'll see in the cygcheck output that I'm running a Cygwin
snapshot; but nothing changes if I revert to cygwin-1.7.13-1.