X segmentation fault when particular application attempts to open a window

Keith Lindsay klindsay@ucar.edu
Wed Apr 25 21:45:00 GMT 2012

On 4/25/2012 2:20 PM, Keith Lindsay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running a data analysis program called ferret on a remote machine
> that I've logged on to with "ssh -X". When the program attempts to
> create a window, the Cygwin/X server crashes with a segmentation fault.
> The seg fault is reproducible.
>
> xclock works fine from the same remote machine.
>
> This is with version 1.12.0-4 of xorg-server.
>
> ferret has worked with some previous versions of the Cygwin/X server,
> but I'm not certain about the precise version where the breakage
> occurred. I backed up one version and encountered the same problem.
>
> I've attached the output of "cygcheck -c", the file
> /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log, and the output of a gdb that is attached to
> the XWin process when it crashes.
>
> I'm at a loss about how to proceed further.
> I welcome any advice that you can provide.
>
> Thank you,
> Keith Lindsay

Hi again,

I realized that I can back up to other versions of xorg-server by
installing from the local directory that contains previous version
downloads. I have discovered that ferret works fine with version
1.12.0-1 of xorg-server (built 2012-03-12) and generates the
segmentation violation with version 1.12.0-2 (built 2012-04-04).

Keith