most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 14:47:00 GMT 2012

On 2/27/2012 3:35 PM, George Barrick wrote:
>>>        The message that I get is:
>>>
>>> gbarrick@TS207 ~/jpegs/figs
>>> $ octave
>>> /usr/bin/octave-3.6.1.exe: error while loading shared libraries:
>>> ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> now you triggered all my attention as octave package maintainer
>>
>> try this
>>
>> $ cd /bin
>> $ strace -o /tmp/octave.strace octave-3.6.1.exe --version
>>
>> it should open a system message window mentioning what is missing
>>
>> regards
>> Marco
>
> Subj: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
>
> Hi Marco,
>
>       I ran strace on the octave-3.6.1.exe and
> got an empty message file.

of course, octave process never started :-)

However, that strace
> terminated with a WinXP error alert box that
> said:
>
> octav-3.6.1.exe - Unable to locate component
> [
> [ This application has failed to start because
> [ D:\Program Files\AlwilSoftware\Avast\snxhk.dll
> [ was not found.  Re-installing the application
> [ may fix this problem.
> [
>
> I guess that something is seriously screwed-up if
> my octave is trying to access a .dll from my
> antivirus program.  I did install a program
> upgrade from Avast on Friday.  It seems to be
> a bit more intrusive than the previous versions.
> However, my upgrade to octave-3.6.1 did not occur
> until this morning.
>
> George                 gbarrick_at_walsh_dot_edu

Hi George,
probably octave is just the victim of Avast
I suspect the your antivirus is screwing up cygwin in general.
Probably it tries to inject a dll in the dll chain

does "D:\Program Files\AlwilSoftware\Avast\snxhk.dll" exist ?

Regards
Marco