XWIN-1.11.3.0 crashes when some client programs terminate.

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Jan 22 22:04:00 GMT 2012

On 22/01/2012 00:43, rodmedina wrote:
> I was on vacation so I couldn't replay.  3 days ago I tried to reproduce the crash,
> but it did not happen!  I have not installed new software since the previous crash,
>  niether cygwin nor Windows.  I do not understand how that can be. The only
> difference I can think of is that when the crashes happened 2 weeks ago I had ben working
> for a long time with the machine. Three days ago I just booted the machine and tried to
> reproduce the crash.  Today I tried again and the crash was back again (my wife had been
> using the machine all day). I have made the backtrace as suggested. It is attached
> together with the XWin.0.log.
> In order to have the crash you have to interact for a while with the test program
> and then close the window.

Thanks very much for the backtrace.  This helps a great deal, and I can see
what I think is causing this problem.

It looks like there is a race condition during window destruction, if we
process a WM_KILLFOCUS message just as we are deleting the window, which could
cause this crash.

I've applied a couple of fixes to address this, both by removing the race
condition, and avoiding the particular crash occurring in your case, so
hopefully this works better now. I've uploaded a snapshot at [1]. Perhaps you
could try that out and see if that makes a difference?

> About the locale non working, I start the X server with a windows batch script that makes
> the following sets before running XWin:

> SET LC_ALL=es_VEN.ISO-8859-1

I don't think this is valid as we are expecting a 2-character ISO 3166 code
here, which for Venezuela is VE.

This doesn't match what's reported in your cygcheck.out, so I don't know if
you've made a typo somewhere.

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20120122-git-e8802abd6e2953e0.exe.bz2

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer