Cannot launch ssh from X11 system tray icon

Dirk Fassbender dirk.fassbender@arcor.de
Wed Mar 28 18:14:00 GMT 2012

Am 28.03.2012 12:10, schrieb Craig:
> I don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on this?
> It's rendered Cygwin X11 unusable. :-(
> Can any further diagnostics be enabled?
>
> On 23 March 2012 17:56, Craig wrote:
>> I have two machines, a desktop and a laptop.
>> Both are 64bit Windows 7 Enterprise installations.
>>
>> I (think I) configured Cygwin on both the same and they have the same
>> identical ~/.XWinrc file.
>> They both use the same mirror for installing and are both fully up to date.
>>
>> A précis of my .XWinrc looks like this:
>>
>> menu root {
>> // Comments fit here, too...
>> "Xterm" exec "xterm"
>> "Xterm - Vulpix" exec "ssh vulpix xterm -e bash --login"
>> }
>>
>> And on the desktop both work and on the laptop only the local xterm will run.
>> Nothing appers in /var/log/<anything>
>>
>> So I added an entry like this:
>>
>> "Experiment" exec ~/experiment
>>
>> and ~/experiment looks like this
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> (
>> set -x
>> ssh -v vulpix xterm
>> )>  /tmp/experiment 2>&1
>>
>> It still fails (i.e. does nothing) and /tmp/experiment has
>>

>> So can anyone tell me why I get the select / waitForMultipleObjects error?
>>
>> If I'm in the xterm I *can* run, I have zero problems running
>>
>> $ ssh vulpix xterm -e bash --login

Hello Craig,

you have to use X11 Forwarding. Try

menu root {
// Comments fit here, too...
"Xterm" exec "xterm"
"Xterm - Vulpix" exec "ssh -Y vulpix xterm -e bash --login"
}

or

menu root {
// Comments fit here, too...
"Xterm" exec "xterm"
"Xterm - Vulpix" exec "ssh -X vulpix xterm -e bash --login"
}

Dirk