XRaiseWindow for activating windows in multiwindow mode

Thu Jun 19 10:07:00 GMT 2014

On 6/11/2014 10:50 PM, Patrick Herbst wrote:
> On 03 Sep 2011, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> On 13/08/2011 19:39, Oliver Schmidt wrote:
>>> as reported in
>>>     http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-06/msg00072.html
>>> windows are not raised from the Cygwin X Server in multiwindow
>>> mode, if a program wants to programmatically activate a window.
>>>
>>> I played around and figured out that the problem can be solved by
>>> I enclose the patch in this email. It works fine for me, but
>
> Is there a fix planned for this?  I too use applications that make use
> of XRaiseWindow to navigate around multiple windows, and it doesn't
> work.
>
> Anyone have any info on this issue??

I used my patch from 2011 every day for the last three years and it
worked always without any problems. I was also able to incorporate this
patch into the newest cygwin x server running under 64-bit cygwin
without any problems.

See also:
    https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2011-08/msg00034.html
    https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2011-09/msg00000.html
    https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2011-09/msg00003.html

I don't understand, why this patch was not included into the official
cygwin-x-server. Of course it would be nice, if a better solution was
available. For pragmatic reasons it would be nice to include this patch
into official cygwin x server until a better solution is available.

Best regards,
Oliver