Automatic X server startup

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue May 27 15:20:00 GMT 2014

On 27/05/2014 13:52, Pavel Fedin wrote:
>   Recently i have started using Insight (https://sourceware.org/insight/)
> under Cygwin/X. Everything is quite good except one thing.
>   I remember once upon a time i worked on MacOS X. There, X server starts up
> automatically if there is some program requesting it. On Cygwin i still have
> to run it by hands. Is is possible to set up autostart of the X server ? May
> be i just don't know how to do it ?

I believe this is arranged using launchd on OS X, which listens on the
socket the X server will use, and starts the X server when something
connects.

Unfortunately, there is no similar system facility on Windows.

You can achieve a somewhat similar effect by copying the X server
shortcut to the startup group to start it automatically at login, at the
cost of slowing down system startup somewhat.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer