problems running Cygwin/x

t s furriner67@hotmail.com
Sun Sep 21 16:56:00 GMT 2014

I successfully installed Cygwin/x on an NTFS drive

unfortunately the menu items are limited to;

one item for Cygwin (cygwin64 terminal)

five items for cygwinx (GNOME openbox, KDE openbox, openbox, xlaunch, xwin server)

please see graphic at;      http://cpm86.com/menu.jpg

if I try GNOME Openbox, or KDE Openbox, or Openbox; it appears to start, but I cannot run xclock and there is no X server icon in the lower right icon panel

if I try xlaunch, it shows a dialog "select display settings", then "select how to start clients", then "extra settings"; then it shows an 'X' icon in the lower RH panel; and when I right-mouse-click the X icon, choose applications/xterm, it brings up a terminal window where I can run xclock etc

if I try "xwin server" it doesn't bring up the xlaunch dialogs, instead it immediately opens a terminal window where I can start xclock etc

essentially I want to be sure Cygwin/x has installed correctly; particularly the three Openbox options do not seem to do anything; should they be bringing up some sort of GNOME or KDE desktop?