Window manager commands in native window manager multiwindow mode

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Oct 7 15:48:00 GMT 2015

On 10/7/2015 11:20 AM, Gulliver Smith wrote:
> I ask this question from time to time just in case someone new sees it
> and decides to work on it or others might agree that it is a priority.
> Other people have raised this over the last few years as well.
>
> The issue is that I would like to raise windows from within a program
> (Emacs to be precise), but it doesn't work with the native window
> manager running in multiwindow mode.
>
> Emacs has several nice commands for which I have not-so-nice work
> arounds (opening and closing windows). These are:
>
> (raise-frame f)
> (iconify-frame f)
> (decionify-frame f)
> (make-frame-visible f)
>
> None of these work with Cygwin X.

Please give a detailed recipe for reproducing the problem.  I just tried
the following:

1. Start the X server by running startxwin in a Cygwin Terminal (mintty).

2. Use the xdg menu icon to start xterm.

3. In xterm, run 'emacs&'.

4. In emacs, run 'M-x iconify-frame'.

The current frame did indeed get iconified, as expected.  I'm not sure
how to test the other commands.

Ken

P.S. The cygwin-xfree mailing list is obsolete.  You should use the main
cygwin mailing list in the future to make sure your mail is seen by the
maximum number of people.